Your Vote Counts
OPWDD is committed to ensuring that voting rights are upheld for the people we serve and that every person is given the opportunity to register to vote.
- Every effort should be made to discuss with the person their right to vote and to encourage and assist them with any interest in doing so.
- A safe way to vote must be discussed with every person seeking to exercise this right.
- Voting should not be considered a “recreational outing” in any way that acts to limit a person’s ability to participate.
- The person voting is allowed to have someone to assist them to vote for the candidate of their choosing.
- Questions regarding a specific persons’ eligibility and registration status should be directed to their local Board of Elections.
- Counsel’s Office Bureau of Service Delivery may be contacted at (518) 474- 7700 with additional questions.
Voting Election Information
Available options to vote in NYS: Voters may visit ANY of the Countywide Early Voting centers during the dates and times listed on your County Board of Elections website and can be found here.
Early voting is from October 29, 2022 – November 6, 2022. Remember, you can vote early, by mail or by absentee ballot.
Each county’s early voting sites will be open at least eight hours on weekdays and five hours on weekends to allow the casting of early ballots.
General Election: Tuesday, November 8, 2022
Vote On Election Day (Tues. 11/8, 6 am – 9 pm): Voters are assigned to one poll site only. Find your poll site on the NYS Board of Elections website.
SANYS Voting Resources
SANYS leads a Rev Up Get Out the Vote Task Force that works to get more people with developmental disabilities in New York State to vote. If you are interested in joining the task force, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (716) 463-5035. On the SANYS website are handouts, videos and resources from the GOTV Task Force.
American Association of People with Disabilities (AAPD)
Disability Justice – Voting Rights
For additional information, please visit the OPWDD website.